We have been noticed!

I was checking comments today to see if any of you had posted comments to the recent stories I’ve posted, and I noticed a comment from someone I’d never seen post in our forum before. After a bit of reading and investigating, it turns out that our mystery commenter is the founder and CEO of Edublogs, James Farmer. Needless to say, I am flattered!

And you all should be proud of the virtual learning and discussion space you have helped to create. I know I am proud of you. 😀

So, what say you APBers? Has the blog caused you to look at biological science differently? Has the blog encouraged you to perhaps pursue a field of study you might not have otherwise considered? Has it opened your brain to science beyond the walls of our classroom?

25 thoughts on “We have been noticed!

1. Angie

This blog has certainly made me think of biology in every aspect of life and I have learned a lot outside of the classroom through posts and other peoples’ comments.

2. Andrea Deschenes

The blog has actually caused me to be more aware about all the things going around me that not only have to do with science but with life. All the stories I have read on here pertain to everday life, for example the price of healthy food, or honey bees pollinating food, and so on. All of these stories directly effect our lives and by having this blog I can say I am for sure more informed with what is going on! Its made me aware that science is everywhere, and pretty much everything in some sense!

3. Ty Vessels

Posting blogs has totally made me think different about biology. It makes me think of biology in my everyday life and practical applications for it in the future. It’s also real cool to read and see what everyone’s opinions are on certain subjects.

4. ethan nelson

i do think that the blog has caused me to think about things differently in fact i now don’t just take stories for their face value. i think that the blog has truly helped me to become more aware and think more about the ramifications to the future that things around me can cause all in all it has been a very helpful and insightful experience. thanks ferg!

5. Kelsey Wise

Though, to be completely honest, I find myself doing most of my blog posts somewhat frantically at the end of each six weeks, I actually get really into each of the posts and my answers, and the blogs open me up to things around me in a cool way. One of the blogs I was particularly interested in was the blog that discussed genetic replications and growing an animal organ. Though I know this article is probably highly controversial, I think it’s so neat how advanced technology is getting, and because I hope to be a doctor sometime and travel the world helping people, I would love to do stem cell research and learn more about that.

Also, I really liked the ‘donating rice’ website. I’ve gotten hooked on the game, and it feels good knowing I’m helping people.

6. Aadil Sarfani

This blog should have been in the top 10 websites in the nation! Increases your general knowledge, you get to find out interesting and crazy things, makes you think, and makes you a better scientist. Also, its a good quiz grade 😀

7. Kaston Murrell

Although I have a habit of procrastinating on the posts and sometimes even putting off my procrastination when I post I’m intrigued by almost all of the articles I see. The articles also help me to look at both sides of the argument more than I sometimes do. While the blog hasn’t opened me up to any new interests for study it has revealed many scientific discoveries, ethical dilemnas, and anomalies that I ordinarily wouldn’t think much about.

8. Prerak Patel

As with Kelsey, I also cram my comments in at the end of the six weeks. However, by reading the articles that have been posted allows us to gain a greater insight into the importance and prevalence of biology in the world. It also introduces the ethics of biology and gives us two or more perspectives in new biological advances,

9. sussana elkassih

My answer to all the questions you posted are yes, yes, and yes. I love the stores you post on the biospace blog. The articles are always so unique and surprising and I love to share them with my other science teachers and friends who are interested in science. Not to mention I obnoxiously enjoy bragging to all my other AP biology friends at other schools about how we are active in virtual learning : ). I think that out of all the articles you posted one of my most favorites was about the biodegradable green funerals. I’ve always felt very strongly about the environment, mainly because I’ve seen first hand the fallacious impacts ignorant humans make on Mother Nature, thus the article was just one of those examples of how humans can lessen the carbon footprint they leave behind.

10. Kaitlin

Despite everyones procrastination to finally do the bioblog at the very end of the six weeks, I must admit that I feel very well informed. I find myself able to interject facts i have read from our bioblog into everyday conversations. Although sometimes I get looked at weird, I feel enlightened in a feild i love.

11. The Ger Bear

It’s definitely a breath of fresh air to be able to discuss things that aren’t really brought to attention in a normal day. What’s truly amazing though, is the articles that are posted. It’s simply incredible to see how far we’ve come as mere humans. To think that we may become some of these people making these discoveries is humbling.

12. Neil

I love posting to the blog and reading what other people have to say because it’s a way to investigate and discuss science without worksheets 🙂

13. David Golynskiy

Like Mr. Kaston here, I also spontaneosly tend to procrastinate just a bit, well maybe more…..
    Nevertheless, the blog became more fun as time went on. In the begging I thought it was going to be tedious and somewhat, a waste of time. But, I have grown to enjoy it. Not only are the topics interesting and informative, each topic is like a group discussion. I remember in ninth grade, I had Mr. Tredemeyer for Biology 1 and we had a huge class discussion about evolution. Well each topic on the blog is like this and it is cool because we can interact with each other. Overall, I give this blog a raw score of an A+. An extra 10 would be awarded if there was a cool background or somekind of myspace layout. =)

14. Brigham

I agree with Andrea. Alot of the stuff that we cover in blog posts, I really wouldn’t have been aware of it at all so I think that its actually good that we have to do this for things, and that we are now being recognized because Ferg is quite the teacher, the main reason I really want to do Biology for the rest of my life. She deserves credit for this useful tool.

15. Joshua Geevarghese

this blog was an excellent idea. blog gave me a lot of good information about aspects of boilogy and i am glad to hear thast people in Australia is reading our blog especially the CEO, how awesome is that?

16. scienceguru Post author

I’m glad! Strangely enough, there was a news story last week about how the ice cream company Haagen-Dazs is having trouble making certain flavors because the plants they need to make the flavors are in short supply because of the colony collapse disorder….

17. scienceguru Post author

Aw, thanks! I am excited that you want to study biology. That’s the best feeling as a teacher–knowing that your students want to do the same thing that you do.

18. Isha Banerjea

I love biology don’t get me wrong, but there is a great difference between learning science from a book or experiencing science through worldly experiences, observations, and living it. I can’t believe other teachers haven’t jumped on the blog-band-wagon and started one of their own. In psychology we learned that memory is enhanced when a meaningful story or example is connected with the idea/theory. With the blog we are able to make these connections directly with what we are learning, better enhancing our knowledge and memory for future scientific encounters.

19. Stephen

That is so cool!!! i am not going to lie this blog has done alot for me. i know i may wait tell they day of to do them but they still slow me down so i have to read some current events. and going into the medical field this has given me the opportunity to indulge in the world of medicine and get plugged in. stephen out.

20. Kristal Jackson

Yes, this blog has made me think about the world around me in so many more different ways. When I go running, I think about the oxygen and carbon dioxide in the air and how my lungs are working. When I sit down to eat, I wonder where the rice came from. I think in terms of science now – when I see a spider, I think “I wonder where it came from?” not “I’m going to squish it.”

Instead of seeing things at face value, I look at things as a whole. It’s pretty awesome. Sadly, my career of choice hasn’t changed (but I am eyeing the genetics department).

21. Kishan

The bioblog has not only taught me how to think diffrently about biology, but its also showed me some weird things, like the recent article about how a baby was born off of her mother’s liver, I never in my wildest imagination thought of a baby being born on a liver. And well the bioblog has in a way made my life harder, in that now I have more and more intrests on what to be. But other than that small fact, the bio blog is a great idea, and it has really taught me and helped me teach me about biology.

22. Kamene Dorunbari-Ogidi

The blog has caused me to look at biology in a different way. Primarily, the nature of the blog posts has shown me the vast amount of subjects that biology has jurisdiction over and plays a part in. Before, I thought of it as just a study of animals and plants…but now I also see the ramifications of biology.

Anddd. The blog posts are totally awesome! I mean, there are some wacky stories out there, and they’re more than just interesting to read- they make biology fun.